The first day of fall is just a few short days away which means that now is the perfect time to get your home in shape for the upcoming season. There are some general maintenance tips that our local Fort Worth, Texas home inspector recommends every homeowner take prior to the fall and winter months to avoid problems later down the road.
Our home inspector recommends that you:
- Ensure that the caulk around your exterior windows and doors is in good shape. If the caulk is starting to deteriorate then we recommend that you re-caulk. When you ensure that the caulk around the entry points of your home is sealed and secured you are:
- Helping keep the heat inside your home
- Preventing animals or critters from entering your home
- Protecting your home from the outside elements like rain
- Clean out your gutters. By removing sticks, leaves, and other debris from your gutters you are helping ensure that your gutters are able to perform their primary duty of funneling water away from your home.
- Shut off your outside hose bibb prior to the first freeze. Outside pipes and hose bibbs can easily freeze and burst, causing costly repairs.
- Get your fireplace inspected. For safety it is important that you have your fireplace inspected prior to your first fire of the season.
We hope that these simple tips help you prepare for fall and winter this year. As always, remember that our local home inspector provides home inspection services across the Fort Worth, Texas area.